The Word Is Powerful, and Sharper Than Any Twoedged Sword.

Once upon a time, probably about 15 years ago, a woman in our ward in Lafayette, Indiana, was preparing for baptism. One Sunday, I was speaking with her in the foyer, after Church. She mentioned how much she loved the Church of Jesus Christ because of how wonderful all the people were. She was kind of taken back by my response, which went something like this:

“I’ll certainly take that as a compliment, but at the same time, I’ve got to tell you: if you’re going to get baptized because you like the people here, please don’t. It will honestly be better if you don’t get baptized at all.”

(At this point, her eyes grew a bit wider, but I continued.)

“Most of the people in the Church are great, but I promise you that someday, somehow, someone at church is going to really piss… you… off.”

(Her eyes grew even wider, at this point. Again, I continued.)

“It might be me, it might be the bishop, it might be someone you don’t even know yet, but I’m telling you: it’s going to happen. And when that day comes, you’re going to have to decide: ‘Did I join the Church because I like the people, or did I join the Church because I love my Savior and want to follow Him?’ Honestly, I suggest you figure that out, right now. The Church is true; I promise you that. But if you’re joining the Church because you like the people, don’t even bother. Get baptized because you love your Savior, not because you love us.”

Now understanding what I was saying, this sister thanked me profusely. A few weeks later, she brought her husband to church with her; and a few weeks after that, they were both baptized into the Church. They served faithfully in our ward for a year or two before her husband (who was in military intelligence) was transferred to Europe, at which point they obviously moved far out of our ward. It wasn’t long before they were only a memory to me, but of course their Heavenly Father had definitely not forgotten them.

A few years later, she returned to our ward and, since it was Testimony Meeting, had the opportunity to share hers with us. She explained that, in their new ward in Germany, her bishop did something that made her want to leave and never come back. But somehow, she remembered that counsel in the foyer and decided to work through it. It had now been a year or two since that time, she had long since forgiven her bishop, and she was still active in the Church and that much stronger for it.

We never know what effect our words will have in another’s life. Don’t be afraid to share your testimony; people need it more than you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Equality

The True Cost of a REAL Wedding

The President Packer Postulate (Part I)