A Conversion Story (Part X)

(Coming in late? Start from the beginning!)


“And it came to pass that when Moses had said these words, behold Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man, worship me. And it came to pass that Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?” (Moses 1:12-13)

On Saturday, August 2, Keith had borrowed his sister’s boyfriend, C.J.’s Ouija board and brought it over to my place. We went up into my old treehouse (actually a clubhouse on stilts, near a tree, but I digress…) and started asking questions. After a few minutes, the pointer started to move and we were in contact with a spirit that claimed to be my grandmother, who had passed away just shy of a year earlier. The spirit answered several personal questions—how much did Anna weigh (it gave the same answer that was on her driver’s license, which I had never seen), what was my I.Q. (it came up the same number as on a test I took, a few months later), etc.—and then started swearing maliciously at us. I figured out quite quickly that this was not my grandmother, but rather a spirit identifying herself as “Lisa, in Hell.” We asked Lisa a few more questions, then found ourselves in contact with another spirit (it turned out to be the same one, but I digress), Sedett, whom we knew had been in regular contact with C.J. for several years. We put the board away and called C.J., who came over as soon as he got off work.

By 9:00 PM, C.J. was at my house (for the first time ever) and Ouija-ing like a pro. By 10:00, he had been talking to Sedett for a while, who told him that she wanted to see him. He responded that she’d said that many times before, but that she had never shown up. She told him this time would be different, that we should meet her in the main bathroom at 2:03 AM. Well, we watched some TV, played some games, just generally hung out for the next four hours, or so, and at 2:02 AM, made our way down the hall of my parents’ house, to the main bathroom. Precisely at 2:03, I turned on the light and saw—well, nothing, at first, but then, slowly, the shower curtain starting rustling. It moved just a very… little… bit.

We turned off the light and ran.

As we got back to my bedroom, we decided that it was about time for C.J. to take his Ouija board back and for him and Keith to head home. I saw them off, then slowly made my way back to my bedroom, turning off the lights behind me, then running from the light switch by my door to my bed, quickly pulling the covers up over me and laying there, terrified, until I finally got to sleep.

Lehi taught that there is “opposition in all things” (2 Nephi 2:11), and Moses could tell the difference between God and Satan (Moses 1:13-14). It’s a good thing that contrast is in place, because it was only fifteen hours later that the missionaries showed up.



Tune in next time for Part XI!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Equality

The True Cost of a REAL Wedding

The President Packer Postulate (Part I)